Snowed in during a global heat wave?

Greetings,

I can remember earlier this year during what was, I think, the worst winter for 30 years being out walking the streets of Merseyside in Arctic Conditions. I was going door to door on behalf of Sefton Council with a trusty team of recycling promoters, encouraging the good people of Sefton to participate in the new food waste recycling scheme.

Boy, it was freezing. The cold temperatures caused some of my team mates to remark 'global warming - what a load of old cobblers, I can hardly feel my toes!' or something along those lines. I remember a similar sentiment from others at the time.

With the cold weather at the minute and snow in Scotland and the borders I can just hear some people saying now 'It's freezing - global warming was all made up, turn up the heating'.

To those people and my team mates from earlier in the year I would like to make a few brief but clear points:

1. Climate is not the same as weather. Weather is what conditions of the atmosphere are over a short period of time, and climate is how the atmosphere "behaves" over relatively long periods of time.

2. The surface area of the Earth occupied by the UK is tiny (compared with the whole planet!) hence conditions here are not reflective of the whole planet

3. 2000-2010 will be clearly the hottest decade on record

4. 2010 will be the hottest or second hottest year on record

Yes, it is not good news, some people have even taken the step of going back into denial with the Uni of East Anglia scandal, disinformation, and the complete failure at Copenhagen.

So if you tell me global warming is made up because you can't feel your toes please tell me you're joking, then we can go and sit in a cafe and have a hot chocolate.

Onwards & upwards!

Joe

If you like this please visit my blog:

Ecofocused.com

Comments

Popular Posts